Combining volunteer work with travel is a great way to expand your world in the best way possible. You'll have the opportunity to learn about a culture up close and personal, you'll meet great people, from locals to other volunteers, make long lasting friendships, have life changing experiences that will alter your perspectives and, on top of all this, the incredible feeling of helping to create positive change.
With The Small World, you'll get all this plus working in one of the most remote regions in the world, the Himalayan area of Nepal, with its famed beauty, spectacular scenery, and fascinating culture. With The Small World, we know that it will be a positive, life changing experience that you will never forget, and we can guarantee that you will also be making a positive impact on the lives of others.
Better yet, at The Small World, we don’t just place you in a program — we include you as an important member of our mission to truly participate in our project and to realize how you can make a big difference by directly working in community development projects in remote areas of Nepal. You will see the light come back into people’s eyes, hear the “namastes,” and feel their deep appreciation for your kindness and work for their benefit. They will never forget you.
1. Create a lasting impact on people’s lives who are in desperate need of your help. We are a grass roots organization and we work hand in hand with locals to accomplish important projects, such as much needed construction or rebuilding of schools, libraries, and homes, water and toilet facilities and drinking water programs, especially in those communities devastated by earthquakes.
2. Be an important member of a dedicated team that is building a much needed infrastructure in the remote Everest areas of Nepal. Your participation will have a huge impact because, as a member of our team, you will help to vastly improve the lives of local people.
3. Enjoy a massive sense of achievement: the work will be physically demanding in community development construction, but you will get an extraordinary sense of satisfaction. No matter your choice of opportunities, doing your part in making the world a better place will reap rewards that will be more than you can imagine for everyone concerned!
3. Our “Safety First” policy helps to ensure your welfare on community development project sites; in fact, we have a medical person or doctor on site “just in case.”
4. You will have firsthand cultural experiences that will expand your perspectives on life and your understanding of other ways of living – and the cultural exchange will be valuable for local villagers as well. You will gain valuable knowledge and experience working within a very different culture.
5. Form long lasting friendships. Your help to create a positive Impact on local communities will also create friendships – with both volunteers and local people – that we’ve seen last for many years. In fact, we have seen this happen many times.
6. Expand your world view and perspectives and impact your life forever. Challenging experiences push your personal limits, build confidence and self esteem, and you'll discover strengths you never expected to find in yourself. There will be many moments that will challenge you, as our cultures are extremely different, but if you keep an open mind and remain as flexible as possible, you will most certainly have a rewarding and fulfilling experience – one that is invaluable for people of all ages and walks of life!
7. The Small World enjoys a reputation for not only being the leader in meaningful travel in Nepal, but also for the high quality of all aspects of our programs. In other words, you’re in good hands!
And . . . you’ll be working within the beauty of the Himalayas, with fresh air and lots of sun!
Every year, hundreds of our volunteers return home with a new and
deeper perspective on their world, their country, and their own lives.
See Volunteer Experiences and Stories.
FACTS ABOUT VOLUNTEERING FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT:
To volunteer as part of our sustainable construction team, you must be physically fit. The work will be challenging and you will feel at some times that your physical limits are being tested. But it will also be incredibly rewarding, and an experience that you will remember for the rest of your life.
A TWO WEEK PROGRAM
Volunteering for sustainable community development work is a two week program. You will be picked up from the airport, spend two nights in a hotel in Kathmandu, and taken to see the world cultural heritage sites in Kathmandu before going in to the remote Himalayan region of Solukhumbu to take part in the construction.
WHO CAN VOLUNTEER?
Individuals and groups can volunteer. High school trips, a group of friends, or a single person are all welcome to join in; the only requirements are that you are open minded and physically fit, as the work will be demanding.
You are important to us at The Small World. Your generosity, compassion for others, and willingness to engage in challenging physical labor to help make a better life for desperately needy people in Nepal is something we appreciate very deeply. To us, you are an honored member of the team, every one of you. Every year, hundreds of our volunteers return home with a new perspective on their world, their country, and their own lives! Join us, because in addition to all this,The Small World takes pride in being the leader in meaningful service travel in Nepal and in the high quality of all aspects of our programs.
There are Individual, Group, Organizational, and Custom Volunteer Opportunities.
Contact us and we would love to tell you more!